8 Reasons Why To Choose Peter The Possum Man to Remove Your Possums
- Free* quotes to remove and relocate possums and fix holes
- Fast & efficient, humane possum removal using possum traps
- Thorough repairs to stop possums returning
- Legal, humane relocation of the possums
- Installation of possum boxes if required
- Genuine 12 month warranty on all possum proofing. If they come back, we come back and fix it!
- Possum catchers based around Brisbane, including Ipswich & Redcliffe which means no matter where you are in Brisbane, we can remove your possums.
- Experience in domestic, commercial, school & church possum removal. And because we care about possum welfare, we are involved in possum research including a study about the welfare of Brushtail possums that our possum catchers evicted from roofs. We found that they live in only a 4-6 house block area, and after removal from a roof they went straight to another den nearby. Read the results of that possum study on our website.
I will definitely be recommending you guys to any of my friends and colleagues who find themselves woken up by possums in their roof!
T.Cossburn – Manly West
Has a possum taken up residence in your roof or between your floors or walls? Possums in Brisbane look cute, but they create a load of headaches for most people:
- Possums are incredibly noisy at night, keeping your family awake at all hours.
- Their urine and faeces can ruin your ceilings, creating almost indelible yellow stains.
- They can cause smells & if a possum dies in your roof the stench can be unbearable.
- They can make your dogs bark all night.
- They can move your ceiling insulation around to build their nests, creating fire hazards and reducing insulation effectiveness.
To a possum, your home is a veritable palace, no wonder they line up to move in! All a possum needs is to find a small gap under roof overhangs, gaps underneath the house, through chimneys, through areas under renovation or in a garage wall. If they find even a small hole, enough to wriggle through, you will acquire new furry roommates.
How Do I Remove Possums From My Roof?
Possums are a protected species, and only possum catchers with the correct wildlife permits are permitted to use possum traps, and then they must release the pesky possum nearby within a specified area. Peter the Possum Man has been involved with removal of possums from buildings using traps and other methods for over 25 years. Removing possums from your roof takes patience and it may take a couple of visits by the possum catcher to effectively use possum traps to create a possum free home.
Every gap that a possum may use to enter your home must be found and blocked off. Using the possum traps, we then need to catch the possums and release them nearby. After the possum catcher does the removal you can also install a possum box as an alternative safe home for the possum family in a nearby tree.
Possum Traps and Catchers to Remove Possums with Warranty
We get many calls from people asking us to provide a quote over the phone to remove possums from their roof or to create possum traps for their property. Possum removal must entail a possum catcher to do building and house repairs, then capture of the possums using possum traps, and finally removal of the possum and release it in the nearby property.
But, no two houses are identical. To remove possums we need to look at a whole range of factors. These include the size of the roof, access points like cracked or broken tiles, roof sheeting, gaps around pipes, under floor access, and any access points where new holes could easily be made by strong teeth! Our possum catchers need to check your property over a number of days to ensure we have all possums safely out of your roof. So, to provide an accurate removal quote, our possum catchers need to physically see your property. We do like to meet the occupant to understand what has been heard and seen, but the quote can often be done by inspection from the outside.
That is why our possum catchers offer free* quotes and a building inspection for all Brisbane possum removals. We can consider your unique situation and provide you with a written quote, outlining everything we will be doing including fixing the holes and trapping the possums so there are no surprises (except for the possum).
First let me thank you for your great service, from the first email I sent you to the final possum being caught was just amazing. Many thanks once again on the entire service and I will definitely highly recommend Peter the Possum Man.
M.Young – Oxley
Have possums in your roof? We can help you with all your possum problems but if you are looking for possum trap hire or sale to catch that pesky possum in your roof. Stop!
Before you hire or buy a possum trap, there are a few things you need to know.
- Catching possums and setting a possum trap in Queensland without a permit is illegal. Only fully licensed operators are permitted to trap possums because like all native species, they are protected under the law.
- Once you have trapped a possum, it must be released nearby to the property. Possums can’t be relocated to different areas as they are very territorial creatures. Relocating possums is usually a death sentence for them as they do not know where to hide or find food.
- Even if you do the wrong thing and relocate the possum you will be wasting your time. Why? Possums use scent trails, so when one is taken away others will move into the vacant territory in your roof. We have spoken to people who have illegally relocated 6 or more possums before they finally give up and call us to permanently fix the issue.
So now that we have that out of the way – how can you legally and humanely go about trapping possums in Brisbane? You call us: Peter the Possum Man Brisbane – the experts in possum trapping.
We offer two different possum trap hire services
Basic Possum Trap Hire
Hire a possum trap from us and our team of licensed operators will set and manage the possum cage for you in compliance with the legislation. This option is ideal for when you are having renovations completed, and your builder or handyperson is repairing all possum access points for you.
Our team of licensed operators will:
- Set the possum traps for you.
- Remove the trap at the end of the hire period.
- Release any trapped possums nearby to your home.
Possums are very intelligent and crafty creatures, and will generally have a number of means of access to your roof. Your builder will need to find and repair all access points otherwise the possums will keep returning to your roof no matter how often you trap them.
Basic Possum Trap Hire Provisos
- As we are not conducting any repairs on your property, we cannot offer any warranty against possums returning to your roof.
- You will be charged for the hire of the possum traps whether or not any possums are trapped but our team will not set the possum cages if there are still obvious holes or access points to your roof. If this is the case, you will be charged a service fee for the visit.
- We prefer 24 hours’ notice of hire.
- We do not set possum traps on Friday nights or weekends as it may take more than one night to ensure all possums are removed.
Guaranteed Possum Removal & Trap Hire
If you want to ensure that possums will be permanently removed from your roof, then you need our guaranteed possum removal and trap hire service.
Our team of licensed operators will:
- Identify all possum access points to the problem area of the property.
- Repair all entry points which could include sealing small gaps, replacing cracked or damaged tiles, fixing lifting roof sheets, sealing gaps around pipes, blocking off underfloor access.
- Set and remove traps for you over as many days and nights as is needed to trap all possums in your property.
- Advise you of other options to discourage possums from travelling across your roof including pruning overhanging shrubs and trees.
- Offer the option to supply and install a possum box nearby to create a safe, alternative home which your possums may use.
- Release any trapped possums nearby as required under all Queensland possum permits. Remember, we give you a warranty that the possums will not get back inside your home once they are released.
With our comprehensive possum removal service we offer a full 12 month warranty on our possum proofing.
Contact Us For a Quote
Contact us for a free* quote for possum removal by experienced possum catchers from your home or business. You can also fill out our website form or call our office between 8.30am and 3.45pm, Monday to Friday.
If you are a tenant, unfortunately we do need the owner’s permission to conduct any proofing work at the property, as it is structural work on the house. We would prefer if the owner is aware of the issue and requests the inspection from us directly so we know they are willing to consider our quote.
71 Edmondstone Street
Newmarket QLD 4051
Peter the Possum & Bird Man Brisbane is rated 4.8 stars by 120 customers on Google My Business
Can I hire cages to trap possums?
No. As with all native wildlife you need the correct type of wildlife permit before you are allowed to trap or handle any native animal, including possums. So possum cages must be set by someone with a licence.
Do you fix the possum holes?
Yes, fixing the entry holes, which we call proofing, is the only way to exclude possums from your roof as under all wildlife permits any possums removed from your building must be released nearby; they will certainly try to get back in again. So our servicemen specialise in finding how possums are getting in and also blocking off any other potential holes. When we let them go, they will come back and check the roof, realise they can’t get in and move on. We can also install possum boxes if you would like to give your possum a new home. From radio tracking studies we know most possums will move straight to a another den they already know about nearby.
What damage can they do?
Having a possum living in your ceiling or between floor cavities can often be very noisy however possums can also do other damage if left to reside in the cavity. Possum pee stains on your ceiling, chewing to make holes bigger to enter and exit through (or the timbers in your roof) and chewing on any electricity type cables to make the area they are residing in more comfortable also regularly occurs.
How much does it cost to get possums out?
Our Servicemen will inspect your property and provide you with a written quote to block off the entry points. That way we can provide you with an accurate price to complete the job. A free service period of 12 months is usually applicable to proofing work completed. Sealing off the entry holes is the only way to rid your home of unwanted visitors.
Why possums cant be relocated
Research by government wildlife agencies has demonstrated that a very high percentage of relocated possums will die because they cannot find a safe place to hide. When placed in a new location they are vulnerable to attack by cats and dogs as well as predators (snakes, hawks and owls). They may be unable to find enough food in an area that they are not familiar with and any possums established in that area will attack them, defending their territory. The result is a very high percentage of relocated possums will die.
How long does it take to do the job?
After completion of inspection and acceptance of the quote our Serviceman will return to do the building repairs. The repair time will vary depending on the complexity of the job. Any possums inside will also need to be removed. We must ensure no possums are left trapped in the cavity, this may require a number of visits to your property over several days.
What can I do about possums on top of my roof?
They are good climbers and can jump from trees to roofs as well as walk along power lines. If possums are moving across your roof, trimming back trees around the roofline can often reduce the traffic. However, to stop them jumping you will need a gap of at least 2 metres between the trees and your roof. They are usually looking for food such as mangoes, macadamia nuts and the fruit, leaves or flowers of native trees. You should also listen for noises that might indicate they have found a way to get inside your roof.
What laws protect possums in Queensland?
As with any native animal, you must have a permit to be “in possession” of a native animal. There are different permits for different purposes. Setting cages to trap a possum requires a permit. The laws in other states of Australia are different. A summary of Queensland Government advice on possums can be found here.
The main legislation relating to wildlife is: the Nature Conservation Act 1992 and the regulations that control permits and licenses are in the Nature Conservation (Wildlife Management)
Regulation 2006 which can be found if you click here.
Will lights or chemicals keep possums out of a roof?
In our experience mothballs, camphor chips and lights in the roof space only have a very temporary effect at best. Possums may not like certain smells or lights (because they are nocturnal) but if they know a roof space is warm, dry and safe from predators, they will tolerate a lot of disturbance.
Do possums carry fleas and disease?
The American Opossum does carry fleas and diseases that are a problem for humans but the Australian possums are not known to cause disease problems for humans. In theory it is possible for them to carry fleas. We have not found any Brisbane possums with fleas. Possum droppings have been found to include the common Enterobacteriaceae including Salmonella and Ecoli as well as intestinal protozoans including cryptosporidium. These are organisms that can cause stomach upsets and contaminate rain water collected from roofs. In New Zealand they have the introduced disease, Bovine tuberculosis that can infect a variety of animals including the New Zealand possums but they type of TB does not exist in Australia.
In November 2011 two Tasmanian women were infected with Tularaemia after being scratched by possums. According to NSW Health this is a very rare disease caused by bacteria entering the skin through cuts and scratches. In the same way, there is always a risk of tetanus infections due to bacteria Clostridium Tetani getting into the skin from bites and scratches. So it is always advisable to handle any animal, dead or alive with care and consider wearing protective clothing and gloves if there is any suggestion an animal is aggressive or sick.
Do possums bring other animals into roof?
Possums tend to be solitary but around Brisbane there are increasing numbers of houses with two possums and it is not unusual to even find four in one roof. Possums will live alongside rodents and they may attract rats due to their messy behaviour and food scraps. Both possums and rats will attract pythons that like to eat them.
Is it ok to feed possums?
All animals benefit from a balanced diet so generally native wildlife are best not fed. There is good evidence that a serious infectious dermatitis of possums is related to overcrowding and fighting; so feeding may cause disease problems by encouraging fighting in competition for easy food. In addition some owners have had possums entering the house through “cat-flaps” and windows to look for their next feed. Too much fruit and high energy foods cause digestive upsets in possums. Remember that like koalas their normal diet is mainly relatively low energy leaves from native plants.
What is a possums diet?
They will eat plant matter, fruit and meat such as insects and any small animals they can catch. They are omnivores. Their natural food is the leaves, flowers and fruit of native trees supplemented with a few insects. In urban areas they have adapted and will scavenge food in any way possible. Certainly bowls of tasty dog and cat food are very attractive. Their natural food includes eucalyptus but they don’t eat the new shoots with pink stems and pink leaves because they have high levels of toxins which can kill possums.
What is possum dermatitis?
Some possums suffer from severe skin infections and research shows a wide range of bacteria are present in the wounds. There can be severe hair loss and the eyes may become infected. Australia Zoo vets have found it is difficult to return the animal to full health. It is most common in male brushtails when they have been fighting over territory and is probably made worse in urban areas where there is a lack of suitable holes and places to hide.
Will possums eat rat bait?
Yes and they will die usually inside your roof. So it is important to possum proof your roof space before laying any rodent baits or you must ensure any rodent baits are placed inside plastic bait boxes that possums cannot get into.